Monday 15 September 2014

Salbukh 13 September 2014

To the north of Riyadh there is a waste water lake which primarily takes water from a local factory but is also used to off load waste water from tankers which arrive throughout the day from the city.  The area has been used for some time and there is a considerable growth of reeds across the entire area with some clear areas and areas of Tamarisk bushes.  There is quite a lot of fish which brings in fish hunters and some muddy shallows which bring in the waders.  The entire area is surrounded by desert.

Temperatures were a cool 28 degrees centigrade and there was a slight breeze which developed into a stronger breeze later and temperature rose to about 35 degrees before I left.

On arrival we saw a Moorhen disappearing into the reeds and while I heard lots of these thereafter I did not see any others, too quick for me I'm afraid.  That said I can't blame them as that morning I was outnumbered by hunters 8:1, so in a way its surprising I saw any birds at all.

All through the morning Yellow Wagtails were much in evidence.  There were a couple of subsecies represented and a few younger birds which did not quite have full adult plumage yet.




Yellow Wagtail (feldegg)


Young Yellow Wagtail (flava)

In all I spotted about 30 Yellow Wagtails all along the edge of the lake.
Larks were also about, though not is great numbers, the ubiquitous Crested Lark which have a habit of following you, perching on a rock or mound and watching what you are up to, I suppose here they replace the White Cheeked Bulbul at Al Hayer which I did not see at all at this site.


Crested Lark
 
Another I managed to get a shot of was the Great Short Toed Lark which popped down for a drink at a little mudhole.  This was a new bird for me and a handsome addition to the life list (thanks to Rob Tovey for helping with the ID).

Greater Short Toed Lark (thanks Rob)
All along the marsh were copious numbers of Blue Cheeked Bee-eater which were feeding in a small flock together.  Occasionally they stopped in a group on the power lines for a rest but were pretty active all morning.



Blue Cheeked Bee Eater
A little way out into the surrounding desert I noticed a pair of Hoopoe feeding on bugs and worms in the damp soil.



Hoopoe
And on a nearby reed was a woodchat Shrike that we have seen in this same location on a number of other occasions.


Woodchat Shrike


Woodchat Shrike
Waders were also about in smallish numbers including this very sedate Black Winged Stilt which was all alone, however on my way back I saw anothe 6 or 7 heading over to join him.

Black Winged Stilt
Two little ringed plover were buisy feeding away on the lake edge and were not at all bothered by me

Little Ringed Plover
The Kentish Plover were pretty common again this time, they were breeding last time we were in the area and we were given the old diversion technique by one as we must have been getting too close to its nest.  We followed the direction the bird was giving as that was the most certain to take us away from where its nest was.

Kentish Plover
None of the waders were present in large numbers the little Stint in the photo were all I saw around the site and the Wood Sandpiper numbered just two, still nice to see them both.

Little Stint

Wood Sandpiper

Cattle Egret were all over the place this time, in most instances in pairs but this relatively young looking one was monitoring the scene from atop a bush near the entrance to the area.

Cattle Egret
This Little Egret was boldly standing in an open patch by the lakeside.  Not a very prudent move considering the number of men with guns that were floating about.  On my way back I was preceeded by a pickup which stopped at this spot and did take a shot at something but I did not see any evidence that he hit anything.

Little Egret
There were also a good number of Squacco Heron in the air throughout the morning.

Squacco Heron on the move

As I walked out of the lake area again into the desert this little chap accompanied me.   Not seen one of these around the area recently as they were off on their travels.


Isabelline Wheatear
I did not get much in the line of warblers but I'm quite proud of Common Whitethroat, not often these sit still long enough to get a pic.

Common Whitethroat



The process of identification can be a painful one at times, though I generally get there by sticking at it or calling on more knowledgable friends. There is one more photo to come once I have worked out what it is.

Other species seen and heard but not quick enought to get photos included the Marsh Harrier which was always too distant to get a useful photo and a lot of quite boisterous Graceful Prinia, always too quick to scatter before the camera could focus. 




Species List
Species
Count
Species
Count
Little Ringed Plover
2
Hoopoe
2
Kentish Plover
6
Black Winged Stilt
6
Cattle Egret
6
Woodchat Shrike
1
Squacco Heron
10
Barn Swallow
35
Little Egret
1
House Sparrow
25
Marsh Harrier
1
Graceful Prinia
15
Laughing Dove
10
Little Stint
3
Blue Cheeked Bee-eater
11
Wood Sandpiper
2
 Yellow Wagtail
 30
 Common Whitethroat

A very pleasant morning :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment