Monday 30 May 2016

A dry patch for once

By and large the patch was dry today (7/5/16), a change from the past few months where the river had pretty much taken over large areas.  I arrived at 5:45am and set out to see what was about.  As ever I was not disappointed, although a bit later in the day the temperatures were getting very high and walking was strenuous.

House sparrows were on view almost everywhere today as always, Unlike the UK the population of these is quite healthy considering we are in the middle of the desert.  They are especially common in the city where they roost, very noisily, in the roadside trees.
The White Eared Bulbul were also about in good numbers although not as many as I have seen around this place in the past.  
I saw about 8 to 10 Common Moorhen around the area and there are a number of younger birds about too so as ever they have been breeding successfully.  I got this rather distant shot of one of them, unfortunately most views were of them vanishing into the reeds when they saw me coming.  A by product of the craze that some folk have here for shooting anything that moves I suspect.
The Spanish Sparrow are o be found in good numbers in the fields and all available trees at the moment.  Another prolific breeder I spent some time just watching them come and go from one of the nests, although this particular one watched me for a while before leaving the nest then took off and did not come back for a long time.
  
Also in the breeding season are the Indian Silverbills.  This one was working on the nest which is just visible behind.
  
Another picture of the nest from a different angle. 
Collared Dove are about the area a lot although not in huge numbers.  They are not quite as flighty as their smaller Laughing Dove cousins.
 
Warbler?   -- Razor sharp birder here eh?? I'm still looking to this
 
The Rufous Tailed Scrub Robin is a common visitor to the area and there have been one or two around this past few weeks.  You never see very many of these but when they are about its not difficult to see them as they can be pretty inquisitive.
  
Our old friend the Graceful Prinia was making himself heard all along the reed beds today as ever.  These are tiny little birds but punch way above their weight in the singing and calling department.
 
A bird I have not seen for quite a while appeared back last time I was here and has been around since.  The Red Backed Shrike is a beautiful and very welcome visitor to the area.
  
Another Indian Silverbill
 
Now last week I struggled to get within 150 meters of a White Throated Kingfisher as he kept flying off as I got closer.  This week there were two in the same small bush.  That said I think the one last week was a different bird as I he was about 1-2 km further south along the river.
Also in that same bush were 2 Sparrows and a Little Green Bee Eater.  Definitely the place to be today it seems.
  
A quick shot of the two Kingfishers and Sparrows.  The Bee Eater had left by this point.
It’s the Streaked Weaver Season and these guys are nesting by the riverside all along the riverbank
Wood Sandpiper
Another Shot of a Red Backed Shrike, this is a different bird, the first one having been seen about a kilometre further south.
A solo Black Winged Stilt was feeding in the small area of flooded ground in the middle field by the road.
One of the many Crested Larks about the place every day.
A Curlew Sandpiper in summer plumage and a Common Sandpiper in the background.
Curlew Sandpiper and Little Stint I think.
One of Spur Winged Lapwing in the fields today. I spotted these earlier in the lower field but they flew off before I got close. This one was actively chasing away other birds in the field.
Flypast from a Purple Heron. There were quite a few of these in the area today.
A couple of Rock Dove on the sprinkler arm, there were quite a few in the field feeding on grain left over from the last crop.
Just as I was about to leave this Spotted Flycatcher arrived at the trees close to where I stood. A lovely looking bird. 

Headed home having had a very interesting day.

@Bernard Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment