Wednesday 20 December 2017

Visit to the Parsonage, Foulridge and Slipper Hill Resevoirs.

Decided to take a run down to my local reservoirs on December 18th to see what was about and later took a run down to Balckburn to the Parsonage reservoir as I had heard there was a Great Northern Diver seen there a few days ago.  Ok now your all excited I can reveal that the Diver had moved on so a bit of a disappointment on that front but read on because I did get another bird that is a lifer.  I went out at around 11am and took a walk around the upper Foulridge Res.  I should say that all along there were a delightful little selection of Blue and Great Tits, Blackbirds and a variety of Corvids

 But plonked in the middle of a frozen lake was a small band of Black Headed Gulls.  They hung about for a bit then flew off to find something more liquid.
 A largish flock of around 80 Canada Geese were feeding in a lakeside field but before I left they were joined by another 100 or more which arrived in from the lower reservoir.
 Fast asleep on the far bank were a small flock of Teal with about 6 Moorhen scratching about in the field beside them.  Unfortunately I could not get any closer to get a better photo but hopefully you can see them well enough.
 Another distant shot of a Cormorant.  In all there were 2 on the lakes but always a good distance off.
 This was a bit of a surprise as I have not seen a Little Grebe around for a while.  This one was right beside the lake on Brownhill Lane and very much alone.
 I moved to Parsonage Reservoir to see if I could spot the Diver.  Its a fairly small lake so did not take long to scan and note that the bird was not about, however I did get some nice views of a small flock of about 30 Lapwing and the same number of Black Headed Gulls.  Out on the lake were about two dozen Canada Geese and a dozen or so Mallard.  I guess I will just have to pop back again to see if the Diver returns :(
 I returned to the lower res at Foulridge a little deflated but that soon evaporated when I got a great view of a small flock of about 18 Redwing.  These are not terribly uncommon around the area but nevertheless were a lifer for me.  Had something similar with Common Kingfishers, which I could not get sight of for years!!
 Nice little view of a Chaffinch which perched on a tree for just long enough to get a photo.
 Birding on the little lake at Slipper Hill was a bit disappointing as the entire thing was frozen solid, these two were not particularly happy with conditions and did not stay long.  Everything else had already moved I think.
 I am still trying to decide if this is a Mistle Thrush or Song Thrush but am reasonably certain it had whitish underwings as it flew off.  Unfortunately by this time the light was getting very poor so can't be certain.
 On the main Foulridge Lake was a resident Great Crested Grebe
And the Goosanders were putting in an appearance.  Other birds seen included a Grey Heron and a roost of up to a hundred Black Headed Gulls on the main lake at Foulridge.  There were a coupld e of Snipe which I got a fleeting view of but never saw them again after that.  All in all it was a nice days birding, got a new one and visited a new site.  Pity the light was poor but then we are nearing the shortest day of the year in these parts so good light is at a premium.
© Bernard Bracken

No comments:

Post a Comment